Brilliant. Thanks for the update. Barring a pedal strike, I would
expect the S3X to handle those mounds.

I agree with you on the cable stretch - on the Oregon Manifest
challenge (77 miles of mixed terrain with steepness), Chris Igleheart
lost a gear on his S3X, but it turned out to be a shifter problem, and
easily fixed. The bike:
http://bikesareborn.blogspot.com/2010/02/nahbs-2010-sturmey-archer-s3x.html

After riding my S3X for a few weeks, I find it a lot easier to shift
(my shifter is inconveniently located), and the lash (almost) doesn't
bother me. It's 90% of what a fixed gear should be, and 300% of what a
fixed gear usually is.

 Philip

 Philip Williamson
www.biketinker.com