When we tested bikes for heavy front loads, we found that the flex of
a quill stem did cause some trouble. There was a slight lag of the
fork after the steering input. This was with 30 lbs. on a porteur
rack... In normal riding, even with fully loaded front low-rider
panniers (which are much closer to the steering axis than a porteur
rack), I haven't felt this, and I doubt it would be an issue even for
a strong rider. The front fork and wheel of most bikes has too little
inertia to make itself felt that way.

The flex of the stem does not appear to be the problem - my Grand Bois
Urban Bike is equipped with a very flexible Alex Singer stem. The stem
flexes so much that my hands touch the load as I torque (slightly) on
the handlebars. However, because the stem clamps directly to the
steerer tube, the handling is lag-free even with a heavy front load.
It's the quill in the steerer that appears to be the cause of the flex
that causes the lag in the steering. (We had four testers ride the
bikes without sharing their experiences until after the testing was
over, and all commented on this, so it's not a placebo effect.)
However, I'd like to stress that this is an issue only with heavy
front loads. For a porteur bike, I feel that a clamp-on stem is
preferable to a traditional quill stem. Otherwise, I don't see much
advantages one way or the other.

Jan Heine
Editor
Bicycle Quarterly