Is he he sure it's the stem that's moving?  Based on the forces that
are applied rididng out of the saddle and the different cross
sectional areas, I would think that the bar is what's moving the most.
Both move some amount. I've never usd the taller Nitto Technomic stems
( if that's what your son has) but on the Pearl model I've never felt
stem flex and I'm also larger than your son.

~mike