The horrible thing about the latest XT rear derailleurs is the lack of
a barrel adjuster.  Even using friction, I prefer to have one for the
rear der.  Using downtube or barcon index, no barrel adjuster is
unforgivable in my opinion.  Yeah, Riv sells an aftermarket one, but
that's a lame workaround, fixing a problem that hadn't existed in the
last 20 years.  I personally like the pulleys on the XT level better
than the Deores, so I've stocked up on the M750 generation xts.