I think an IGH bike makes the most sense and possibly even a Rohloff.
What other IGH would you want to ride off road and take touring? And
that would put a lot of restrictions on the bike. What else would
there be left to choose? Brakes would be determined by whether the
bike was set up for cant-, center, or v. Handlebars would need to be
25.4 (unless I am not aware of a road bar Rohloff shifter). That would
also determine brake levers. So you are left with choosing the crank
(maybe) and front wheel (unless he is planning dynamo)?

Of course the handle thing is possible-- but that isnt anything really
different,  just another piece of metal (more triangles!).

If I had a spare $4300 I'd be all in!

Cheers!
cm