Specialized older steel stuff is a great choice. My son has a bunch of
miles on a 24" wheeled Hardrock converted to a 1x7 with a chain guard
and guide plus better brakes, brake levers, shifter, saddle, and other
stuff. Norco also built a bunch of steel 24" wheeled bikes, along with
others. Our bikes for the homeless shop has some that could be had for
cheap....except for shipping, of course.

All the best,
Chris