I've found older Trek 220 models to be pretty good.  Heavy as all get out
though.  Other than that, real good bikes!

http://cyclotourist.blogspot.com/2010/05/found-perfect-kid-bike.html

On Thu, Jun 23, 2011 at 2:33 PM, numbnuts <campredd...@charter.net> wrote:

> Specialized older steel stuff is a great choice. My son has a bunch of
> miles on a 24" wheeled Hardrock converted to a 1x7 with a chain guard
> and guide plus better brakes, brake levers, shifter, saddle, and other
> stuff. Norco also built a bunch of steel 24" wheeled bikes, along with
> others. Our bikes for the homeless shop has some that could be had for
> cheap....except for shipping, of course.
>
> All the best,
> Chris
>
> On Jun 23, 7:56 am, James Warren <jimcwar...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I don't have kids, so I'm only guessing, but how would something like
> this be?
> >
> > http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/SBCProduct.jsp?spid=52916&scid=10...

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

*...in terms of recreational cycling there are many riders who would
probably benefit more from
improving their taste than from improving their performance.* - RTMS