Hi Rene. Jim sums it up nicely. I'll chip in by saying that speed on
the bike does not have to be great. But, speed while off the bike is
critical. The saying we came up with in our post-mortem over beers was
"every minute off the bike is a minute you may need to make up while
on the bike."

We did a pretty bad job of limiting our time while off the bike. Part
of it was ignorance where folks didn't know how to gauge how long they
were taking and that the clock is *always* running. Part of it was
inexperience in riders never having ridden the route, having no idea
how much distance was left to be covered at any given moment, and
therefore not knowing when maybe they ought to push themselves.
Finally, part of it was politeness in trying not to rush someone
during stops and giving people a break at the top of climbs, etc.
Throw in a few unexpected problems (losing riders three times in our
case) and some expected issues (flats, including one in which the back
up tube had a hole), and suddenly you realize, uh oh, we've got to
move it!

In hindsight, I should have talked over some details with the crew.
Mostly, I should have let them know that when we stop, everyone is in
charge of taking their own business and getting back on the bike,
ready to roll, asap. Maybe I should have given a time limit to each
stop.

On the other hand, despite it all, we finished in time--maybe with a
generous clock by the SFR folks ;) And, it was quite a memorable
finish! I highly recommend it.

Best,
Lee