Imagonna start mapping some of my favorite rides/routes around the
area, and eventually take some photos along the way too.

Besides what Dustin said, there are a good number of classic road
routes that loop around here, e.g. 'Three Bears' out beyond Briones
and Orinda, 'Carquinez/McEwen' via Martinez, 'Redwood' via
Moraga/Canyon/Pinehurst, and 'The Country Clubs' route which traverses
several fairways down towards Danville.

For dirt and fire trails, you can't beat Shell Ridge open space, and
adjacent Diablo Foothills regional and Mt. Diablo s.p.s. Not to be
overlooked are all the convenient, off-street connector bike/MUP
paths. The Iron Horse, CC and YV canals, and the sleeper
Sugarloaf-Shell Ridge trail.

There are many nice quiet, older roads that align with the topography
(see latest BQ) and "secret" (i.e. non-auto) connector paths bridging
disparate cul-de-sac neighborhoods. For a start, here's the trunk of
one of my favorite "in town" rambles. Begins at the landmark Heather
Farms area which is easy to get to via BART/trail, follows the edge of
the hills/open space on some of the more interesting streets, and
yields plenty of good opportunities for branching back home via dirt
or asphalt:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/joe_bunik/6001114040/sizes/l/

=- Joe Bunik
Walnut Creek, CA