This thread seems to have divided into two parts, but I want to respond to
both.

I have broken two pairs of Ultegra STI shifters in crashes, fortunately not
irreparably so.  The first one went down hard on a dirt road and was so
filled with dirt it would not work.  I needed to flush nearly a whole bottle
of wd 40 through them to clean them out.  The second was an endo through an
old style parallel sewer grate, which cracked both of the little plastic
caps and Shimano charged an ungodly amount for replacements.  I have crashed
with BE and never had any problem, in fact it's hard to think what could
break.

Unrelated, I used Campy NR DT shifters and then the first version of Chorus
DT 7 spd shifters and I never found them "vague".  Both of those, mated to
Campy derailleurs had a very definite overshift, which requires a very
slight backing up with the shifter.  Once mastered it was second nature.

michael