My assumption is that it is the result of "Rivendell" - the original
production models from Waterford - becoming the high-end customs, so they
needed a way to differentiate the production Atlantis from the customs, then
kept at the practice as they became more of a "production bike" company
again. I personally dislike this approach. I owned a Romulus, and never
liked the name much. I always wished that it was a "Rivendell", with the
model name in smaller letters on the toptube.

I can see the problem, though. In the early '90s Schwinn established a
road-and-MTB line called "Paramount", while still producing custom high-end
Paramount road bikes. That probably pissed a lot of "real Paramount" owners
off, and still causes a mess on Craigslist.

Sooo..I don't really like the practice, but can't think of a way around it.
Helpful, no?

Joe "helpful, no" Bernard
Fairfield, CA.