On Aug 12, 2011, at 9:27 AM, Zack wrote:

> I am happy to let the scientists battle this one out!  I will say that I have
> lost 20 pounds now in about 8 weeks, and my wife has lost about 10.  I had
> way more to lose before starting a diet that is higher in fat, filled with
> vegetables, and some fruits than she did.  It is working for me.
>
> I have also increased the amount of greens in my diet significantly - I now
> have them at all three meals.  And I am drinking a significant amount of
> water (and managing potassium and sodium levels appropriately).

I haven't read anything by Taube so I can't comment on the scientific basis for
his work, except to say that the science of human nutrition is far from exact.
And because we are omnivores, widely varying diets can keep us alive and
relatively healthy.  What surely seems to be bad for us is a diet high in
processed foods, hydrogenated fats, salt, etc., and low in fiber,
phytonutrients, vitamins, micronutrients, minerals, etc.

Americans (and maybe people in other places too) probably eat a fraction of the
vegetables they should.  If you've added a lot of vegetable to your diet, this
is almost certainly going to be a boost for your health and will make it easier
to lose weight.  Many vegetables are best eaten raw.  Wash them thoroughly in
water, though, because pesticide residues are bad for us and in many cases are
bioaccumulative (stored in our tissues).  If farmers follow the pesticide
guidelines carefully, pesticide residues are very low but I know (from farmers)
that this is often not the case.

http://nutrition.about.com/od/ahealthykitchen/a/washveggies.htm

There may be a link between pesticide exposure and the risk of Parkinson's
disease:

http://www.nih.gov/news/health/feb2011/niehs-11.htm

Generally the risk seems to be observed in people with a lot of exposure- crop
sprayers, for example- and I don't know of any specific research linking the
levels one might be exposed to in food with increased risk of Parkinson's.
However, washing fruits and vegetables is really easy to do, takes just a
minute, and why take potential unnecessary risks that are so easily avoided?