Give the Moustache bars a try.  You'll either love 'em or hate him, but this
is a good time to find out.  Set up w/ a short stem, either the shortest
(8cm??) Tech Dlx if you want them at seat level or a Dirt Drop 10cm if you
want them up higher.

If you're going to be doing trail riding a bit, maybe go w/ Marathons over
the Paselas.  Paselas are GREAT, but a touch fragile + the mass you're
carrying might be a bit much for them.  YMMV on that.

My $.02 :-)  Have fun building it up!

On Sat, Aug 13, 2011 at 4:08 PM, Brother Beaker <vargo.m...@gmail.com>wrote:

> After the untimely demise of my Rambouillet, I have decided that the
> way to go is with a SH.
>
> I am fortunate that my LBS has both a 60 cm orange frame and a builder
> who actually worked for RBW.  I am having a great time contemplating
> that build and Shawn has offered to let me essentially test ride all
> sorts of components, permitting a test ride with different pedals,
> tires, bars, etc.  That being said, I hate to abuse the privilege and
> would like to narrow things down somewhat before going nuts.
>
> I am open to suggestions for specific gear that people love, as well
> as things that never worked the way they should.
>
> To give you some idea of how I expect to ride, I live in the Black
> Hills of South Dakota, so there are very few flat roads.  I am a life-
> long cyclist.  My favorite rides are solo.  I am not fast.  I am a big
> rider, 6'3" and 270 lbs.  I ride on roads, fire trails and a great
> rail-trail system that we have here that is very similar to riding on
> gravel roads.  I climb because I have to, descend like a penguin, and
> have a 10-mile commute (each way) that involves about a 1,000 feet net
> descent on the way to work.
>
> The parts of the build that are already set are the frame and fork,
> 700mm Velocity Synergy and Dyad rims and a rear Nitto rack that will
> accommodate two vintage panniers and a Baggins saddle bag which was
> the only thing to survive the death of the Ram.  I had a Brooks B17 on
> the Ram and intend to do that again on the SH (yes, the rails of the
> saddle are bent beyond repair).  Tires are tentatively 35 mm Panaracer
> Pasela Tourguards.
>
> I had two-sided pedals on the Ram  (one side for clips, the other for
> platforms) and I so rarely clipped in that I am looking for a good
> platform that will work with my clown shoes (size 13E).
>
> I am intrigued by Mustache bars, but not certain that I can leave the
> drops (maybe Noodles) behind.  I am not at all worried about the
> weight of the build.  I figure that any poundage problems are my
> fault, not the bike's.
>
> Other considerations:  I have a Voodoo Rada, from their 1998-2000
> incarnation which answers for any occasion on which I feel the need to
> go "fast," a clearly relative term.  For the true single-track in the
> area, I have a nice Kona Kula.  (My lab actually reacts differently
> when I get the Kona out, which means that she gets to come along).
> Just because there are never enough bikes, I also have an old Trek
> 400, which is the bike I loan people so we can ride together and a
> 1950's single-speed steel tandem that probably weighs 50+ pounds.
>
> I want the SH to be the all-arounder and go-to ride, as my Ram
> was . . . the one I take for my long rides, which for me means 6-8
> hours with breaks as I see fit at a glacial pace.
>
> Anyone who made it this far is clearly a fanatic and worthy of
> expressing opinions.

Cheers,
David
Redlands, CA

*...in terms of recreational cycling there are many riders who would
probably benefit more from
improving their taste than from improving their performance.* - RTMS