Do what worked on the Ram, but here are a few additional thoughts (I
am 5'9", 175lbs, ride a 56 Sam; here is my build:
http://www.cyclofiend.com/cc/2010/cc765-gernothuber0410.html but now
with fenders, racks & basket and smooth tires:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gernothuber/5739945039)

If your Brooks leather top fit like a glove and has life left in it,
you can get new rails attached to it. Contact Brooks.

If you go with 36 spokes (which is a good idea), you may want to avoid
the offset Synergy rim and get the regular instead because of recent
reports of the offsets cracking. They may have solved the problem, but
who knows.

Get wider, but supple, fast-rolling tires. I started with JB Greens,
moved to 35mm Paselas, and now ride 40mm Kenda EZ roller Kwik Ride.
Great folding tires, $15 on closeout, probably now unavailable.
Otherwise I'd be riding Marathon Racers or Supremes, or get a 650B
bike with Hetres. :)

Try the moustaches, but make sure they are high and close enough. I'd
suggest the dirt drop stem for them.

Do look at the Hunq. I just test rode one at RBW and it felt like a
Sam, just allowed for even wider tires.

Pedals: for big feet the Grip Kings seem like the ticket. Add extra
studs if they feel slippery (http://www.rivbike.com/products/show/
pedal-spikes/14-060).

Get Tektro 520 brakes if you get a cantilever frame. Cheap and
awesome.

Cheers,

Gernot