I stopped at RBWHQ on a road trip with the family in April and rode a Sam
and AHH back to back. Intentionally comparing the 2... I'd been eyeing them
online and was somewhat stumped/ perplexed by the claim of the Sam as the
poor-man's Homer. Why shell out the extra dough if it's just a more
expensive version of the same bike?

They seemed different enough to me. I'm sure some of the difference was
because of the variations in the builds (I don't remember the specific
components of the test ride bikes but the Sam was perhaps 60/40 in favor of
country riding and the Homer was 60/40 in favor of urban riding), but even
adjusting for the different builds in my mind (not quite sure how that
works), the difference of my experience riding one vs the other was enough
to me that I decided to save a few more nickels and wait until I could get a
Homer.

It wasn't that the Sam was "bad". It was fun to ride... comfy + solid
feeling + zippy enough.  I've re-test ridden the Sam at a LBS here in
Seattle that has a 60cm on the sales floor just to see if the Sam could win
me over to save the cash. I've been tempted to buy the Sam at the LBS just
'cause it would be instant gratification, but instead a couple months back,
I put money down on a Homer from Walnut Creek.

The Homer just seemed like a better fit for what I want in my next bike... a
zippy around town light errand runner/commuter, weekend camper, and
leisurely fun rides with the option to zip occasionally. The Homer was
noticeably crisper in handling, stiffer (in a quick + responsive sort of
way) and zippier. I'm 180lbs and don't really have aspirations of a big tour
so the increased load carrying of the Sam isn't a selling point for me. I'm
not interested to ride anything rougher than a dirt road so the big tires +
beefy tubes of Hunq/Bombadil would be overkill for me. Even if the Roadeo
came in my size I want the option to put racks on it so that's not an
option. I might have considered an Atlantis if they came off-the-shelf in my
size but again, not interested to tour.

On top of the handling I think the Homer is a prettier bike. The blue is
gorgeous. Homer is more proportionally "normal". The head badge is cooler. I
like the Sam but I also like the Surly Cross Check. I was completely smitten
by the AHH in a way that I've never been smitten by a bike before.

Anyway, that was my experience riding them back to back. Hope this is
useful.