> now that I have a bike that's more trail-able than my road bike was, I do
> appreciate having a bell; I know that the people on the trails much prefer
> it to "On your Left!"

   I use a bell when on a big bike ride with lots of people...riders
seem to get what it means.  However, I find on the busy multi-trail
that most people either can't hear them or don't have a clue what they
mean.  A lot of riders and especially walkers look around aimlessly
(...is it the ice cream man?)... or worse turn around to look and veer
into the passing area.  I now either pass stealthily (word?) or use
"on your left".

Rob Markwardt
Seattle, WA