I don't yet have a solid front-mount setup so my comments are limited, but
just please be aware, Velo-Orange has two decaleurs available at about $30
per set.  One attaches to the headset, and one to the stem at the handlebar
clamp.  Assuming the Campagne or the Minnehaha front bags are sufficiently
functional, the total cost to get started could be from $90 to $120, not
including the rack.  The cheap but less aesthetic approach with a rack is
the cheap aluminum black anodized rack, usually sold for about $20 shipped
on Ebay.  Needs Pclips and careful fitting, but it did work for me on a
SAGged tour.  An even cheaper approach for a bag is a vintage Rhode Gear,
Cannondale, or other front bag from the '70s or '80s.  Takes some
fabrication to provide stiffening and mounting for the decaleur, not to
mention bottom securing to the rack, but it WAS cheap, and it worked.  The
tradeoff was water resistance, but that's the bag, not the concept.

On Sun, Sep 4, 2011 at 4:10 PM, Shifty <seandes...@earthlink.net> wrote:

> My heart now beats a little faster when considering what I now know to be
> called, front mount bags and handlebar bags, thanks to all the positive
> reviews. It's a much spendier proposition than I first realized, however.
> The front mounts not only require a $120ish front rack but a $85ish
> decalleur. That means the two bags I'm particularly enamored with, the Acorn
> Boxy Rando Bag and the Berthoud GB25, seemingly attainable bags at $175 and
> $255 respectively, actually cost around $380 and $460!!!
>
> As a result, I'm heavily considering Riv's Sackville Barsack and Nitto F-15
> mount for a grand total of $225. I like the idea of quickily taking the back
> with me when I lock it outside while I refuel on caffeine and scones. It
> also appears quick and easy to remove the rack for quicker, tube+pump
> fitness rides.
>
> Any critiques of this set-up are welcome. I

> For more options, visit this group at

Ken Freeman
Ann Arbor, MI USA