The recent thread about cantis in general & my wife's Atlantis' lack
of braking power during a recen tour got me motivated to once again
delve into the arcane world of brakes.  A few years back I had changed
the original narrow profile Shimano cantis that came stock on my
Atlantis in '03 to the Tektro CR-720.  This was driven by a lack of
braking power that was especiallly problematic with a full load.  We
bought my wife's Atlantis 3rd hand less than a year ago but the bike
is essentially brand new, down to the original bar tape.  Standard Riv
build, including the narrow profile Shimano cantis.  To someone's
credit, it was equipped with Kool Stop Salmon pads, but even with that
braking was marginal, even with careful adjustments to the set-up.

Last week I took the stock Shimano SLR brakes off my 20+ year old MTB,
changed the rock hard stock pads for the Salmon Kool Stops and
installed the old wide profile cantis on her Atlantis.  We headed for
the hills & voila!  She's now quite confident in the braking power and
much more comfortable.  Same levers, same pads, just different
geometry brakes.

To Rivendell's credit, I see the Tektros are the brake listed on a
typical build for the Atlantis.

dougP