Hi Geoff,

I agree.  Somewhat unnerving when I am waiting at a light and big truck /
SUV pulls up on my left and the driver can't even see me or the trike other
than my flag out his passenger side window.  I am thinking about getting
another flag and placing it more forward.

Yesterday I was in a  left turn lane behind a Cadillac sedan that started to
back up and apparently did not see me but the guy behind me honked and she
stopped backing.  I was ready to get off the Trike and start running.

Add to the visibility issue the whole distracted driving overlay and there
is some potential for problems.  My preference by far is to ride the trike
on the open road and I think it will make a great touring machine - probably
with a trailer.  On the open road drivers do seem to give more room.  I have
a bright Portland Design Radbot 1000 tail light day and night that also
seems to help.

John

On Sat, Sep 17, 2011 at 12:20 PM, Geoff <mocha...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> "The real question is when will RBW release the prototype of the (lugged
> steel) tadpole trike they have secretly been working on?  You heard it here
> first."
>

> Hi John,
>
> Wouldn't that be something?  I can only imagine how beautiful and expensive
> a Riv lugged steel tadpole trike would be...and what inventive name Grant
> would give it.
>
> Regarding the visibility issues of riding a very low profile tadpole trike
> on roads shared with cars, suvs, and trucks- I agree, though the use of high
> visibility flags really helps.  I've also found in my riding experience,
> that motorists really tend to give a wide berth of clearance to low profile
> trikers...probably because they're not sure about us, thinking that we're
> handicapped or something along that line.  That courtesy really runs counter
> to the all-too-often adversarial treatment that traditional cyclists receive
> from those very same motorists.
> Still, it's really unsettling to have a humongous suv pull alongside you(in
> your trike), and you find yourself eye-to-eye with the hubcap/rim of that
> 18" front wheel.
>
> <http://photos.imageevent.com/gyuenfamily/geoffswatchpics/websize/P1000018.JPG>
> Best regards,
>
> Geoff