Two of my three bikes have V brakes (including the Sam Hillborne).
For stopping power, they work really well.  Am using the Dia Compe
drop bar brake levers.

For cantilevers, my favorite are the Paul Neo Retros.  Have them on a
bike and when set up properly they easily compete with V brakes for
stopping power.  And a lot more powerful than the 720s, in my
estimation.  The other nice thing about Paul brakes is the enclosed
spring.  Supposedly a nice advantage in bad weather conditions.
Should find out this coming winter.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN