on 9/28/11 1:49 PM, Brian at labrecque_br...@yahoo.com wrote:
> I just noticed that the Cypres (650B x 32) on my Sam H are wearing
> unevenly. The center treads are nearly gone on the rear tire while
> still quite present on the front. This is late in the second season of
> use for them. Is this normal? Should I rotate it to the front? I weigh
> about 140 lbs.,am not carrying panniers and typically keep them
> inflated to 70-75psi. Any insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Sounds pretty normal.  IME, the rear always wears faster - more of your
weight is over the rear.  2:1 is not unheard of.

Sheldon said it more succinctly, but rotating rear to front is a bad idea.
If anything, buy a new tire, then put that onto the front and rotate the
front to the rear.  My least favorite flat (and hardest to control) is a
front tire type, and putting thinner tread up front increases the chance of
that occurence.

Unless I have a long ride coming up, I'll run through the tread to cord on
the back.  (And, YES, have had to boot a tire now and again...)  As soon as
I see it (if I check, and fenders seem to make this less frequently
observed), I'll retire the tire.  I've also gotten in the habit of running
my thumb perpendicular to the tire direction, from rim to rim.  This gives
me a pretty good sense of how "edged" the tire is - i.e. how much meat has
worn away from the middle.  If it feels square, I might pop the tire off and
get a sense of how much is left by feel (with no tube in place).

Hope that helps,

- Jim

--
Jim Edgar
cyclofi...@earthlink.net

Cyclofiend Bicycle Photo Galleries - http://www.cyclofiend.com
Current Classics - Cross Bikes
Singlespeed - Working Bikes

Gallery updates now appear here - http://cyclofiend.blogspot.com

"Maybe a bike, once discarded, pines away year after year for the first hand
that steered it, and as it grows old it dreams, in its bike way, of the
young roads."

-- Robert McCammon, "Boy's Life"