On Wed, 2011-09-28 at 14:42 -0700, CycloFiend wrote:
> Unless I have a long ride coming up, I'll run through the tread to
> cord on the back.  (And, YES, have had to boot a tire now and
> again...)  As soon as I see it (if I check, and fenders seem to make
> this less frequently observed), I'll retire the tire.  I've also
> gotten in the habit of running my thumb perpendicular to the tire
> direction, from rim to rim.  This gives me a pretty good sense of how
> "edged" the tire is - i.e. how much meat has worn away from the
> middle.  If it feels square, I might pop the tire off and
> get a sense of how much is left by feel (with no tube in place).

With the Grand Bois especially, when the tire starts getting seriously
thin it becomes much more prone to flats.  I take this as an opportunity
to check the thickness by pinching the tire.  When it gets down to
"Damn, that's thin in the middle!" -- i.e., feels like the thickness of
a few sheets of paper, even though there's no actual cord showing
through -- I'll replace the tire.

Usually it's pretty late in the season by the time that happens, and at
that point (usually some time in November or early December) I'll take
off the Cypres and replace them with Paselas for the winter season.