+1 on the hiking poles and tarps.

Or staked off one's bike?

Tentwise, I can highly recommend Sierra Designs.  I have an earlier
version of this:

http://www.sierradesigns.com/p-154-zolo-1.aspx

which I love, and which my partner loves- she was amazed at how easy
it was to set up.

Simple geometry- just 3 poles: 2 long, identical ones, 1 short one.
You don't need a phd in hyper-Riemannian topology to set it up.