On Wed, Oct 19, 2011 at 9:52 AM, reynoldslugs <be...@perrylaw.net> wrote:
> My only quibble is not really a quibble, just an observation.  Jan,
> Hahn, and his crew are lighter and in a lot better shape than I am.

This is why I really miss Alex Wetmore's contributions as a BQ
tester/reviewer.  I think he just got too busy with other things to
put in the (considerable) time.  I'd love to see BQ expand in this
direction with average but enthusiastic rider/testers in addition to
the usual suspects Jan/Hahn/Mark VdK.  It would be fascinating to test
whether the handling and performance traits that superfit & skilled
riders prefer are also preferred by us mortals.  Alex seems to agree
with most of Jan's preferences (low trail, light tubing, front
at a disadvantage in the blind tests, though, because he didn't have a
similar riding partner to serve as comparison.

As an example, I feel like BQ's city/utility bike reviews have fallen
flat, even though I appreciate them.  They read a little like an F1
driver testing a minivan.  It would be great to get a "second take" in
these cases from a daily non-sport rider (maybe there was one in the
Big Dummy review. I can't remember all of a sudden).  I think such a
rider might actually be more attuned to certain features of non-sport
bikes, just as Jan et al. are more attuned to high performance bikes.
At least in Portland, I've met a substantial number of riders who are
very interested in bike design, ride a lot, but rarely if ever ride
for sport.  In fact, I find myself drifting toward that end of the
spectrum.

BQ is by far the most interesting bike pub since the Riv Reader,
though.  I've learned a lot, rethought a lot, and thoroughly enjoyed
it.  My cycling's the richer for Jan's efforts!

Best,
joe broach
portland, or