Steve,

Your experience with your 1972 Paramount is curious.  I have a 1977
Paramount P-15 (26" seat tube size), which probably has identical
geometry to your 1972 bike.  With a 2" fork rake and 73 degree head
angle (the standard dimensions for a Schwinn Paramount touring model
at the time) the trail is 52 mm, which is not particularly high
trail.  I've descended hills at 50+ mpg with complete security and
nary a hint of wobble.  I wonder if your Paramount had some other
problems...?

Jim Cloud
Tucson, AZ