Over the past 5+ years, I've done the majority of my riding--and
walking--in soft-soled Steger Mukluks.

http://www.mukluks.com/

I wear Apache Moccasins (at the bottom of the home page) spring,
summer, and fall and then switch to Traditional Mukluks in the late
fall, winter, and early spring.  These are wonderful, and my feet have
been happy.  In fact, my feet groan when I go to hard-soled shoes.
The winter Traditional Mukluks are simply fantastic--really warm and
flexible--you can really feel what's going on and move your ankle
freely.  Plus made right here in Minnesnowta.

I've tried the Barefoot 5-fingers, but don't like them nearly as much
as the moc's (but they are great for river/creek/rocky bottom lake
walking).  My foot is little (I'm 5'2") and I can feel axles on most
pedals, which I do not like.  The moc's and MKS touring pedals are a
good combination in this regard.

I wish I could remember if I was wearing different shoes on the
fateful day.  After a week of no biking (mostly due to travel), my
knee is just about back to normal.  I did look at my q-factors
(thanks, Patrick):  the q-factor on the BF is narrower than the Suluki
or Protobleriot.  Both the Riv's run MKS touring pedals and they've
been great all along in all seasons; the BF has MKS EZY Promenades for
ease of assembly.  The axles on the EZY's are not as wide, and so
there is a hump in the middle of the pedal that I can feel in soft
shoes.  I'll try tinkering with saddle height as well.

Thanks, o mature Rivsters, for keeping this thread going.  And all you
young Hipster Rivsters--this all might just come in handy some day in
the future.  (Although once a hipster, always a hipster, so thanks to
the mature Hipster Rivsters out there)

Liesl