Patrick,

I used to own a lovely BMW Airhead, an '87 R80. It had the smoothest motor
you could imagine, with lightweight wrist pins and Cariillo rods... not as
"vintage" as some Beemers, but still plenty of soul, and fairly easy
maintenance. Yes, they do take maintenance, which you should lovingly
embrace. My 2000 "oilhead" R1150GS needs much less fussing, has more torque
and higher power, but most of all - it simply fits me better, a tall bike
for a tall rider.

Not knowing your height, you have many rides to choose from. My simple
suggestion? Take and pass the MSF course FIRST, and if you're still
motivated, get a $2000 used motorcycle - any motorcycle - and learn to
ride. Learn balance, throttle, learn to pick it up when you fall, learn
about wet roads and staying on the gas. Get some scrapes and bruises, nicks
and burns. Then, and only then, consider something more ex;pensive. As much
as I like my beemer, I am awfully fond of Yamaha's WR250R/X. Simple,
lightweight, superbe fuel consumption, great handling, easy maintenance.

- Andrew, Berkeley