For commutes to/from work, I usually just wear my work clothes (jeans/
shirt/sweatshirt or sweater, regular shoes). If it's dry I'll top it
off with a heavy wool sweater, scarf and wool cap under my helmet.

For light rain I'll choose a lighter weight shirt and sweater and
layer it under a Burley rain jacket and Rainlegs.
For heavier rain I'll sawp in full Burley rain pants and shoe covers
(this year I've been useing RBW Splats and they work well).

If it's really cold I'll add a woo ear band to the cap, or swap in a
heavier wool cap with ear flap. If it's really, really cold I'll add
thin wool tights under my pants, though I always have to take them off
at work because it's too warm.

Gloves are most often ragg wool variety, even in the rain. I usually
carry extra socks and gloves with me so I have a dry pair for the ride
home.

Beth