HI Thomas. How about visiting RIv (I'm assuming you're local given the SF
Craigslist link) and checking out a new Sam Hillborne ($1050 frame/fork)?
It would make for a great all-purpose bike and is quality, comfortable
steel. And, with the extra $300 you save on the frame/fork, you can pick
some useful accessories, like racks, lights, and fenders, etc.

Just my two cents.

Lee
SF, CA