Thomas --

I have a '99 59 cm LongLow made for side/center-pull brakes. Others on this
list will know better than I do, but I think pre-production means that the
frames were made in standard sizes/configurations (not custom) but not
necessarily in runs of sizes as they were later by the Toyo shop in Japan.
My LongLow was built by Joe Starck and painted by Joe Bell.

Canti brakes are good. They can offer more clearance for fenders and/or
larger tires, and some think they have better stopping power than
sidepulls. That may be, but both kinds of brakes are good, and I wouldn't
shy away from a frame like the one now on CL in SF because it was made for
cantis.

-- Forrest (Iowa City)