On Nov 10, 2011, at 1:00 PM, tdusky wrote:

> The canti long-lows were called all all-arounders.

I have a 1996 All-Rounder and it is not the same bike as a Long-Low.  The
original All-Rounders were all 26" wheel bikes with cantis and were based on
the ideas behind the Bridgestone XO-1.  It was designed to allow the use of 2"
knobbies down to 1" slicks.  The All-Rounder was one of the first three
original Rivendell models (Road, Mountain and All-Rounder).  The A/R used
(IIRC) larger a diameter top tube but I think the same diameter down tube as
the Road, whereas I think the Mountain used oversize top and down tubes (could
be wrong about that, my recollection about those details is fuzzy).

The Long-Lows came along a year or two later, I think about the time I placed
my order (I vaguely recall Grant alerting me to the new model in between my
placing the order and production starting.  I stuck with the A/R but in
retrospect should have gone with the Long-Low for the uses I have ended up
putting it to).  The Long-Lows were 700C bikes with long-reach sidepulls,
although as some folks have mentioned they could be ordered with cantis; I
don't remember if that was an option from the get-go.  They were designed as
road bikes with a lot of clearance for fenders and/or fat tires, much more so
than the Road model of the day.  They had a lower BB and a longer wheelbase
(hence "Long-Low") than the Roads but used (IIRC) the same tubing.

None of the original 3 models or the Long-Low were initially conceived of as
custom frames.  However, Grant started doing tweaks for individual uyers early
on and pretty quickly the bikes became customs.  In those days it was all 753
with 531 forks <nostalgic sigh>.

The Atlantis is a several-years-later bike based mostly on the All-Rounder and
the XO-1 before it.  My recollection is that the first run or two of the
Atlantis used 26" wheels on all sizes and then later 26" on the smaller bikes
and 700C on the larger sizes (smart idea).