For context, I live in Fairbanks, Alaska. We've already had temperatures
down to -10 this year, and I'll ride down to -20 or -30.

Pants and tops are the easy part. Down to zero or a bit lower, I'm
comfortable in a Sport Hill jacket and a single, medium-weight long-sleeved
merino wool shirt. It's cold at first, but you warm up fast. When it's very
cold, I'll add a heavier layer of wool or fleece over the base layer. For
pants, I wear wool tights (Ibex, Icebreaker, the stuff Riv sells--doesn't
matter) under Sport Hill expedition pants. Two layers of tights when it's
colder. When it gets below -20, you need some windstopping material for
your nether regions. Really, really need it.

My head is a problem. It's hard to get adequate coverage without blocking
my breath and getting all damp and foggy. I have about six different head
and/or neck garments that I fiddle with depending on temperature. For
boots, I wear some nice Salomons down to -10 or so, then I switch to big,
heavy Baffin boots. Nominally for -60, I think. I prefer to use warm boots
with a single layer of socks rather than layering socks.

Nothing special for the hands. Thick gloves down to zero, then switch to
mittens. Of course the thumb is the problem. If I'm going for a longer ride
in extreme cold, I'll resort to using chemical handwarmers.