Hi,
When I ordered my custom Rivendell back in 02 I requested braze-on mounts for a
small front rack. I had to send a drawing to Grant to show where I thought the
mounts needed to be. At this time I don't Rivendell had a request for such
mounts.
When I got the bike I eventually mounted a Berthoud front rack and handle bar
bag. The Nitto Mark's rack was still years away. The handle bar bag I used was
a small one. I did many rides with the set up and never liked it.

The weight of the bag made the steering feel floppy. Especially going up hill.
And when I got off the bike the bag would twist the front around; to me this
was miserable.

So I'd say adding a front bag to my Rivendell did indeed affect the handling -
in a negative way. Perhaps the Rivendell does not have enough fork rake to
offset the bag.

James Valiensi, PE
Northridge, CA
H818.775.1847 M.818.585.1796