Same experience here.  This was with my Brompton that (I believe) has
an approximately 24mm trail.  Without any load (front or back), on the
first ride, it was squirrelly to the point where I had to
conscientiously ride it.  However, after a week, it was no big deal.
Certainly, it handled differently than my other "normal" trail (~60mm)
bikes but it wasn't anything I couldn't get used to.  Then I got a
front bag and on my first ride with a laptop and some stuff up front,
the Brompton was noticeably more stable.

So chalk me up as one who believes adding a front load to a low trail
bike can improve that bike's handling.