I got these spread out today about as far as possible, while still keeping
enough post through the eyebolt for good secure fastening. Working with the
geometry that Sheldon Brown put up at
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/cantilever-geometry.html#ca, I have maximized
the Cantilever angle, and minimized the Yoke angle, for highest mechanical
advantage. The brakes feel quite good, better than before certainly. I'll
get in a longer ride tomorrow and test them further. The other change on
the bike is from Shimano aero Tiagra levers to some non-aero Shimano 600s,
which has relaxed the cable routing overall.

Alas, a consequence of minimized Yoke angle is loss of fender clearance, as
these images show. In order to fit my redwood fenders, which are dead-flat
across, I'll need to get the yoke up higher.

http://diesel.smugmug.com/Bici/Rivendell-Quickbeam/19788258_S28rgW#1602306663_wxf3fb8

(and yes, I know the cable ends in the images are too long, and not
finished off properly. I've taped them out of the way until I settle on
final adjustments).

- Andrew, Berkeley