I saw two "I'm all right Jack" fender flaps in this thread!

"I'm all right Jack" is what Brit's say when something is working well
for them, and it's just too bad for you if you don't benefit as well.

The application to fender flaps is when a bicycle only has a front
fender flap.  So the presence of a front fender flap works well for
the rider, but the absence of a back fender flap doesn't do much good
for their friends or fellow cyclists...

>From my perspective, it matters less whether flaps go inside or
outside than that there be one at each end of the bike (and that the
rear flap actually be effective -- no Planet Bike useless 2" fender
"flaps" -- you need something that comes down to about 2" off the
ground).

Nick