When I added the Nitto mini to my Atlantis with the stock Shimano low
profile cantis I had the same situation.  Between fiddling around with
the adjustable side and the barrel adjuster, I could just get the link
wire to come off after slackening up on the barrel adjuster.  Kind of
a pain.  The straddle cable idea sounds like you'll get a lot more
freedom & ease of set up.

For me, braking power was poor so I eventually went to the Tektro 720
cantis, really easy to set up.

dougP