I'm struggling to understand it.  From what I can tell, the mixte-like
rear stays curve to connect to the seat stay on the drive side, but to
the chainstay on the non-drive side.  My first reaction was that this
was due to the inherent asymmetry in the stress on the rear triangle
that results from having the drive chain on one side; many years ago I
had a rear hub on an old MTB get so loose that the front of the rear
tire rubbed the inside of the non-drive chainstay during hard pedal
strokes due to the torque imparted (about a vertical axis) by the
chain pulling forward on the right side of the rear wheel.  I suppose,
even with a properly adjusted hub, similar forces are communicated to
the rear dropouts.  I have no idea why this would be a way to address
this, however.

My second thought is that having the mixte stay attach to the
chainstay is the ideal solution for whatever problem Grant is
addressing, but that it would interfere with the chain on the drive
side, so curving up to the seat stay is the next best thing.  For some
reason, meeting at the rear dropout is being avoided.

Other things I can't help but notice: derailer hanger with a
horizontal dropout so it can be run geared, singlespeed, or... IGH?
Appears to have shifter braze-ons on the down tube as well FWIW.

As for the loops, they look like something to run a strap through to
me.  Could this be some sort of cargo-oriented bike?

Just my first reactions and subsequent brainstorm.  Your guesses are
as good as mine.

Daniel M