It is a common occurrence on the IGH hubs that see heavy use in foul weather,
Rohloff excepted. We have to replace several Shimano and SRAM IGHs every year,
which is always a huge let-down to their owners, who believed the hype on the
Internet that these things go forever with no maintenance. If the manufacturers
made the small parts available for repair, I would take them more seriously.
One tech at SRAM told me that one of their $200+ hubs was intended for
"cruisers and low-torque applications", not for serious everyday use.