A little over a hundred years ago, Paul de Vivie popularized an
invention that might be useful here, he called it a derailleur.
Alternatively, an epicyclic hub gear, popularized around the same time
period, could keep your current drivetrain setup with only a little
additional weight and complexity while solving your problem of needing
different gears on the flat and on hills.