I've had very good luck with Sturmey Archer's S3X fixed gear 3-speed hub.  The
low gear is 60% of the top gear, so a reasonable flatland gear around 72 inches
would give you a 43-inch low gear. That should be enough to get you up most
hills, and you can shift on the fly.  If you don't want to ride fixed, you can
spin a single-speed freewheel onto the S3X, turning it into a "standard"
3-speed hub (but with simpler internals, since the pawls would be in the
freewheel).

--Eric N
Sent from my iPad2 