Hell, boys and girls, I have gleefully taken hacksaw, grinder, Dremel and
Vise Grips to various brazed on bits on a custom Rivendell frame and lived
not only to tell the tale but to boast of it. This was when I took my 1995
Waterford-built 559-wheeled Road Custom and made it into a fixie. Tout 753!
(Fork was 531.)

I *did* have the much more expensive and even nicer 2003 Curt adapted to
fixed gear use by a professional builder, though.

Let me tell you, there are few thrills more thrilling than the
suspense-cum-excitement of taking a claw hammer to a frame. I've
successfully adapted a Nishiki mixte and, latterly, my Worksman grocery
trike, to exotic cranksets by beating dimples into the right stay.
Excitement apart, the results (obtained with the help of a mandrel) were
quite good.

Quoting Stalin: "Beat, beat, and beat again!"

--
Patrick Moore
Albuquerque, NM