"I am not interested in fenders or tires larger than 28, nor am I
interested (for the purposes of this discussion) in fineness of joinery or
cosmetic details. Just fit (or potential for fit) and, above all, handling."

In that case you should just get early 80's Centurion LeMans, Raliegh
Comp., Nishiki International, Panasonic, or similar for like half what you
will pay for the RB1.   Great bikes.  There are plenty of bikes just as
good if not better than an RB1 in the above respects, without the RB1's
attendant cache & price tag (which is in no small part due to the
subsequent success of Rivendell).   Not to downplay Bridgestone-   cool
catalogs, innovative ideas (but the RB1 was not one of them).