Jim,
I believe we all have had similar experiences.  A recent law was
passed here in Georgia that requires motorists to give cyclists at
least three feet clearance, but it remains to be seen whether the
police will actually enforce it, and publicity to educate the motoring
public about the new law has been sorely lacking.  I was once buzzed
on an uphill by a huge black SUV, and I moved over toward the center
of the lane thinking that might dissuade the next idiot from trying
the same stunt.  Well, a sheriff's car pulled me over to lecture me
for not riding far enough to the right.  I was tempted to ask him how
many cars he had pulled over in his career for buzzing cyclists too
close, but I figured arguing with the long arm of the law might not be
a good idea.  Thanks for the reminder to "be careful out there," and
to be respectful of others on the forum because life's just too
short.
Bill Carter