You may have misread Bill's post (or maybe I am misreading it).    I don't
think anyone was suggesting riding in the center of the road.     However,
'taking the lane', or moving away from the shoulder to discourage motor
traffic from trying to 'squeeze past' when it is not safe to do so (road is
too narrow, oncoming traffic, debris in the shoulder, etc) is a well
documented strategy for riding a bicycle safely on the roads.   Sure it
isn't gospel, and some disagree with this strategy-   but to heck with
anyone (police or whoever) who tells me not to use it-  it has saved my ass
many times, whereas obsequiously hugging the shoulder has proven hazardous
(in my experience).

Safe travels

-Matt