I asked baby bro if he wanted to ride to the grocery store with me and
got a "negative ghostwriter".  Totally unexpected, Dad said he'd go,
not grocery shopping, but for a ride.

So we're rolling and there's some snow, no problem, we forego the
normal sidewalk to the trail routine in favor of roads ... In my head
I'm worried once we get to the trails we won't e able to make it far
with unstudded tires. We arrive and roll gingerly first, then more to
normal.  I thought we were going for a short 10 mile ride. Nope.  Dad
loves it so much it turns out we're doing 35 -- at HIS insistence. I
wish I woulda known, woulda worn more than commando jeans :)

we stop at a McD's on the way back to warm the toes and a man asks us
if it's too cold to ride, "nope", with a cheeky smile he gets from me.
He chats me up about his trek with a spring loaded fork and super fat
cushioned sprung seat and his "triangle stand" (indoor bicycle
trainer) and compliments us on our "Schwinns" :) he also tells us
about how he broke his ankle on a ladder two years ago, got a buy-out
retirement package from GM, how his wife left him and his kids took
off and don't see him anymore. I feel badly. He asks dad if he's
divorced. My dad says laughing, "not yet"!  I love my dad :)

We roll out and 4 miles later stops and asks me to check his rear
brake because he thinks it's rubbing. I check and show him it's fine.
look at the front of his bike and find I can't even turn the front
wheel.

There is SNOW PACKED BETWEEN THE TIRE AND FENDER.  Dad holds his bike
up, I pop off the front wheel, find a stick and clean out the snow-
jam.

Pop the wheel back on and he's as happy as a little boy, pedaling
furiously and explaining as he shakes shakes his head that he thought
he was finally getting old, losing his power, his strength.  We both
are laughing hysterically at what had happened and dad's dramatic
reaction and feel grateful and thankful for our health and
friendship.

By this time we make it to Orchard Lake, where Chief Pontiac (after
whom the automobile was named) is buried on Apple Island, and take a
few moments to enjoy the beautiful scenery.  Dad decides to forego the
trail for streets and we're pedaling into a frigid headwind powered by
Orchard Lake and our fingers are in so much pain because of it so
after 6 miles we walk into a Starbucks for a nice cuppacoffee to warm
up and caffeinate our engines.

The rest of the ride home is on salted roads (maybe I should cringe
here but I'm really okay with it). I get flicked off by 3 dudes in a
brand new Benz and throw up a double duce, screaming "peace!" ... and
then laugh as I approach them at a red light and they don't know how
to react to my non-hostility.

Ended the ride off right with a beautiful sunset.

"I gotta say, today was a good day." - Ice Cube

Photos to prove it happened on my photo stream http://www.flickr.com/amisingh