My wife and I will be traveling from Boston to California in March and
have 4-5 days to explore the Bay area, which will involve visiting
friends in Palo Alto, downtown SF, and Napa, and, I hope, a pilgrimage
to the Riv HQ.  We were hoping to do this exploration mostly by bike -
credit card style, although probably trains, ferries and even a rental
car may come into play (details are sketchy at this point).  Any
recommendations for how to get a reliable riv-ish ride for that time?
I'm considering shipping our bikes (seems cheaper than bringing them
on an airplane) but it makes me nervous.  I'd prefer to rent, but most
of what's out there seems to be offering skinny tired carbon bikes or
hybrids, neither of which appeals to me.  On a previous similar
thread, someone suggests Karim's used bikes in Berkeley but elsewhere
on the internet, it's reputed to be a fence for thieves.  Bay Area
Bikes offers the Big Dummy which is an attractive option but probably
overbuilt for our needs (it makes my wife a little nervous).  I'd go
out of my way for a good rental so if you know of somewhere else in
the Bay Area I should consider, let me know.  Thanks! - John