On Thu, Jan 26, 2012 at 4:52 AM, René Sterental <orthie...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Robert!
>
> I'll be in Honolulu from 5/4-5/9 and will be taking my BIke Friday Pocket
> Llama with me. I was planning in calling in you... Oh well...
>
> Can you recommend any good rides?

Wow, I'm sorry we'll miss each other.

Yes, there two major rides here on the island, clockwise and
counter-clockwise. :-)

It really depends on how much time you have and how much distance you'd
like to cover. I don't know how much interest everyone on the list has in
rides on Oahu so we can continue privately but there are somethings to
note...

We had a decent bus system and all buses have space for two bikes. Thus if
you want to bus to a start location, or back from the end of a longer ride
it's possible (and I do it all the time).

The most scenic routes are on the windward and north shores not in
Honolulu, though exploring the city on bike is easy and the waterfront is
very bike-able.

If you feel up to it, climbing Tantalus is a decent challenge (and lovely).
Here's a link to our steepest climbs in case you are so inclined (ouch):
http://www.hbl.org/content/oahus-steepest-climbs

We can also do flat (Pearl Harbor bike path skirting the edge of the water
most of the way around).

My favorite bits:

1. Honolulu waterfront (I do this more or less daily) - short, add around
Diamond Head for even more fun and views
2. Honolulu to Makapuu lookout (
http://www.flickr.com/photos/mgps-bob/3838367751/)
3. Kahaluu to Haleiwa - normally I just ride Honolulu to Haleiwa and take
the bus back, but at 80 miles it's all day when you toss in lunch at Uncle
Bobo's in Kaaawa.

Just to keep this Riv worthy, I've ridden all of this (except Tantulus) on
my Quickbeam without stopping to change gears, even the hills and there are
some (all told about 2500 feet of gain - not much but uphill into the wind
at Makapuu is...um...interesting).

If you let me know off the list how much time you have I can make specific
suggesting and let you know where to startt. Indeed I've probably mapped it
with gps and can give you the links.

Aloha and again, sorry we'll miss each other. I was going to see what you
were up to while I'm in the Bay Area as well. :-)

Bob

> René

Robert Harrison
rfharri...@gmail.com