As somebody who's worked with customers on builds, MOST people don't have
super specific preferences - they just want a configuration that will work
and have an overall aesthetic, possibly with a few minor personal touches.
The advantage of having a "kit" is that it shortens the phone conversations
considerably. When I do this, at least with some customers, I often feel
like I have to sell them on every little part.
Me: "I suggest the SRAM chain."
Customer: "Would I be better off with a Shimano chain?"
Me: "Well, Shimano is fine, but we usually use SRAM."
Customer: "Oh, well, I've always used Shimano."
Me: "I will be happy to use a Shimano, if that's your preference, but SRAM
has that cool master link, so we like it."
Customer: "Jeez, now I'm torn."

Obviously, some, even most, are calling me because they like the bikes I
have built in the past, and are happy to trust my knowledge on their own
bike build. But the indecisive micro-manager type above absorbs a huge
amount of time, and all too often, can't pull the trigger when it's time to
give me a credit card number. The kit approach may not satisfy the
micro-manager, but it at least gives him a foundation of info to consider
before he picks up the phone.

With the posted kit, the customer can call the order in and say, "listen,
this kit looks good and I can easily see the price, but I REALLY need the
12-36 cassette, and can I upgrade to indexed shifters?" I can't say for
sure, because I don't work there, but I'm guessing Riv is willing to make
small, simple substitutions like that (with appropriate upcharge, if
needed), as long as they don't cascade into a major revision of the kit.
Sometimes, a single substitution is not as simple as it sounds. That guy
who is "awfully fond of STI" (there must be a script for how to say these
things) and Phil Wood freewheel hubs is probably in for a disappointment.