Pete, & All:

Thanks for giving us the blow by blow details of your slow coasting
dilemma.  One of my first thoughts were the chain tension being the
culprit.  I know, I've done it as well with my White eno.  It's easy
to get to much purchase with a wrench around the axle. =;O
So I've been perplexed by that same slow coasting sensation you get
with a too tight chain.

So looking at my townie I see perhaps more slack than I should have.
It's better to err on that side of things I think - as long as the
chain can't jump off your teeth.  Not that you really need that much
either, but we of the age of derailleurs didn't have the business of
chain tension burned into or ROM at a young age.

Does anyone know a good web source for chain tension instruction?  I
haven't seen one. I run enough slack so I can shake the chain 3-4cm
from top of shake to bottom.  That may seem excessive to some - but my
ride coasts like there's no tomorrow.

When sighting down the chain, if you can't see some sag easily it's
too tight.

Phil B